Wednesday, October 7, 2015

MORE EATING AND VISITING WITH FRIENDS!

On Wednesday, Sept. 23rd, my friend and old neighbor Pat and I drove to Winchester, Virginia to see our old Weight Watchers Leader, Kyle.

Just before Ralph and I left for our life on the road, Pat and I joined Weight Watchers in 2005. We both lost our weight and made our goal. At that time, Kyle would drive the 1-1/2 hours from her home in Winchester, VA. to Frederick, MD. to the WW location she was a leader at. It was just to long of a commute, so she transferred to the WW in Winchester after Ralph and I hit the road.

Well when we arrived that morning, we wanted to sneak in and have a seat. But when we opened the door, she was about 25 feet from us greeting people. I had my sunglasses on and at first she did not recognize us, she just smiled and waved us in. After all it has been over 10 years and I had these big sunglasses on. Well no more than a couple of seconds later, she just exploded with surprise and excitement as did Pat and I. She didn't even have to think a second for our names.

It was a wonderful reunion and we were able to gab before the meeting and a good bit after the meeting was over. She introduced us to everyone in the meeting. She is quite a motivational speaker and has quite a following among the WW group. She now has our travel website and can follow us. I miss her terribly!

Pat dropped me off and I waited for Ralph and his cousin Charlie to get  back from fishing. They have been cat fishing several times on our old neighbors Pat and Wayne's farm. So far the score is Catfish-3 and the Fisherman-ZERO!

Ralph and I headed over to meet a dear friend of ours. Tish and her late husband Dick were long time riding friends of mine. We had wonderful adventures galloping across the Maryland countryside. I will forever cherish the memories and friendship.

Tish is bringing out some goodies for her trusty steed, Smokey.


Ralph and Tish

On Thursday, Sept. 24, I went to Panera Bread to meet my friend Brenda for coffee. We had a wonderful chit chat. She was one of my horsey friends.

That afternoon Ralph, Pat and I went to The Golden Corral to meet friends of our for dinner. I can't say enough about these two couples. We met them in the early 90's and we all became fast horse friends.

We had many wonderful, exciting and fun horse camping trips together. I will always have the best fond memories of them. I feels so fortunate to have friends like these.

On the left is Vic and Geneva, Kent and Anna, my old neighbor Pat and of course Ralph and I.

On Friday, Sept. 25th, Ralph and his cousin Charlie went fishing for catfish again. I hate to say it but now the score is Catfish-4 and the Fisherman-Zero!

Cousin Charlie is saying: "Hey Ralph, are you sure there are fish in this pond?"


Sharon and Charlie. The old fisherman had to take a nap. 

That evening we headed over to our friends Bobby and Sally's home for dinner. Bobby mostly races funny cars and dragsters.

Sally is a wonderful cook and she fixed us one of our favorite meals, chili with baked sourdough bread. Oh my gosh was it excellent, one of the best bowls of chili I've ever had.

This is a decal of the Number 4 car that Kevin Harvick use to race. Bobby now has Harvick's old Nascar race car.

Here is how the car looks now.

Bobby's dragster.

 We relaxed out back before dinner with drinks and oderv's. I wish I got a better picture of their beautiful American Eagle Motor home. They joined us a few years ago in upstate New York at a campground for a few days on their way to New England.

Bobby's race car trailer and shop in the back ground.

When we left Bobby and Sally's home, just around the corner was our friend Jeannie. She lives on a small farm and when we sold our farm to go "full-timing" my barn cats went to live at Jeannie's farm. 
Cindy Lulabelle is my last cat left and now is 16 years old. It was just a quick pop in because of the late hour.

It was wonderful to see Cindy Lulabelle. 

 Jeannie and her sweetheart Frank had a nice campfire waiting for us when we arrived. Jeannie and I grew up together in the same neighborhood. We were horse crazy little girls!

On Saturday, Sept. 26th, Ralph made breakfast on the grill of eggs and bacon. Sharon was making pancakes. I was on the other side of the kitchen making homemade Belgian waffles. We had mixed fresh strawberries, whipped cream and fresh mixed fruit for toppings. It was quite a feast.

On Saturday, Sept.  26th we headed down to Hyattstown in lower part of Frederick, County. We were visiting our friends Barry and Ellen. 

Barry and Ralph met closely to 30 years ago when they worked for a construction company. Years later Barry started his own construction company and Ralph would help Barry here and there.

Barry is an artist when it comes to unique construction and interior design. Both Ralph and I were just blown away with their beautiful home. Of course Ellen added her wonderful taste in interior decorating.

Ellen fixed us a wonderful steak dinner and we just chatted away the evening. They have always been one of our favorite couples.

On Sunday, Sept. 27th, we met Ralph's youngest daughter Connie and her husband Donald for dinner  at the Outback Steakhouse. We had a wonderful visit, a delicious meal and the time just flew by. Between their very busy lives and ours, it was a little tough getting together, but we managed!


On Monday, Sept. 28th, I headed to Panera Bread to have breakfast with my old horse buddy Marlene. We had a great time and talked about our fun adventures together with our horses.

On the way home I stop to visit Ed and his wife Georgia. They lived around the corner a few miles from our farm. I met Ed when one day he pulled up in our driveway with his young family, wife and 4 kids. They were out cruising around and he wanted to show his children a farm and horses.

We became fast friends and throughout the children's lives growing up, they always stopped by to visit. Every Christmas, he would bring his children by and they would sing Christmas Carols.

Now they are all grown up with the last one in college and 2 of them are married with families of their own!

I came home and Ralph was changing the oil on the truck.



Ralph, Cousin Charlie and Sharon.

Charlie and Sharon made a homemade apple pie. I don't have to tell you how delicious it was!


All I can say is, it is not looking good for my monthly weigh in at Weight Watchers in October! But boy have I had a good time eating all this delicious food!

On Wednesday, Sept. 30th, we hitched up and said our goodbyes to cousin Charlie and his wife Sharon for letting us squat in their driveway.

By the way, Cousin Charlie is an avid golfer and took Ralph golfing a couple of times. I wish I had some pictures to show, but I was off doing other things.

We headed about 7 miles to the Thurmont Conservation Sportsman's Club, otherwise known as TCSC. 

Ralph use to be a member of this club and also took care of all the mowing there. When we sold our farm, he sold the club his John Deere Tractor, bush hog and commercial zero turn Wood's lawn mower.

The Mason Dixon Stampede is the big "divisional" Cowboy Shoot for the several state region. Normally the club caps it off at 400 shooters, but because of what ever reason, just under 300 have signed up.

Well the day we arrived, Hurricane Joaquin was heading up the east coast. The ground here is red clay and when it gets wet, it is slick like oil and it gets deep.

It started raining just before we left Charlie and Sharon's, but we managed to pull in and park. Looking at the long weekend forecast it did not look promising for the Mason Dixon Stampede Cowboy Shoot.

I got a little behind with my blog. We have been so busy visiting friends and family. I try to put an entry up usually every 5 days or so. 

So until next time................Happy Trails.............................









1 comment: