Saturday, October 18, 2014

TOM MIX, WHEN ALL OUR HERO'S WERE COWBOYS

On Wed. Oct. 15 we headed to Lowe's just around the corner from the Riverside RV Park. Ralph got his crimping tool and fixed the 2nd leak.

He wanted to stay around the RV to keep a check on his plumbing job. So I reluctantly went on to the Tom Mix Museum because we were leaving tomorrow. It was in the small town of Dewey just about 5 miles away.

Even though I was a generation past the Tom Mix era, as a child raised in the TV cowboy era, I remember Tom Mix and Tony. I have always wanted to see his museum.

Tom Mix was born in 1880 in Pennsylvania and died in 1940. He was a famous silent movie actor and was Hollywood's first western megastar. Mix did his own stunts and his horse Tony knew dozens of tricks. Tony was almost as famous as Mix. He made close to 300 films but only 9 were "talkies".

Before becoming a western star, he worked a variety of odd jobs in Oklahoma Territory. He worked on ranches, rode in Wild West Shows and even served as a Marshal in Dewey, OK. He was a skilled horseman, roper and expert shot. He even a couple of rodeo championships.




The museum started the tour off with a wonderful 20 minute film. The 2 ladies in the museum knew all about his life and were very helpful with all my questions. The museum housed items from Tom Mix's personal collection. There were saddles, bridles, spurs, movie costumes, movie posters, photos, paintings, articles, "his aluminum suitcase" and other memorabilia.

We saw the monument in Florence, AZ. that marked where Tom Mix died in a one car accident on rural RT. 79. On Oct. 11, 1940, Tom Mix was driving at high speed his beloved bright canary yellow 1937 Cord Phaeton. He failed to heed warning signs of construction. The Phaeton swerved and went into a wash. Mix was smacked in the back of the head by his aluminum suitcase and it broke his neck. The suitcase was displayed in the museum.

The stone monument has a 2 foot tall black iron silhouette of a saddled but riderless horse with its head bowed. The wash where the accident happened is just a short distance from the monument. It was renamed Tom Mix Wash.


Tom was also one of the pall bearers when Wyatt Earp died in 1929. He wept openly through the service.






















He was a hero to many young kids of that time.The kind of hero that kids don't have today.

I enjoyed my time at the museum and soon strolled around the cute and quaint town, population of about 3,500. It is a very typical "western" looking town.

Well I hit the jackpot! I came upon a shop called "Linger Longer Antiques and Old Fashion Soda Fountain". There I met a lovely elderly lady named Pat who greeted me. I went up to this beautiful Soda Fountain with the marble counter and tall stools, beautiful old time dark wood cabinetry with a huge glass mirror. The shelves were covered with the typical old fashion ice cream and milkshake glasses.

I watched a nice young lady named Paige, make all kinds of treats for other customers. Well I just had to have one! When would I ever see another old fashion soda fountain? Besides, Ralph and I are usually together when we sight see and this is one of the rare occasions we weren't. I did not have to listen to "No you don't need it" or "This is the reason you are wearing elastic pants".

So I hopped up on the stool and ordered me a Chocolate Malt! Paige did a great job making it for me and soon I was sipping through a straw a taste of heaven! Oh my gosh, was it delish! In no time I reached the bottom and after several seconds of noisy slurping, I realized that I sadly reached the bottom.

I said good-bye to Pat and Paige and as I left, Pat gave me her business card. It was not til I got in the truck that I saw Pat was the owner and Paige was her granddaughter.

To this day, Ralph has no clue!




1 comment:

  1. But he will now that you put it in print!! Oh, well, we do have to treat ourselves occasionally!! You are doing a great job on the blog Angie!

    ReplyDelete