Thursday, April 16, 2015

COMANCHERIA DAYS AT THE ADOLF STIELER RANCH! "PART #3"

On Thursday, April 9th, I headed to Fredericksburg about 12 miles from the Stieler Ranch.

Today was the first day of the shoot. The 2-day main match actually starts Friday and ends Saturday, but today they are having what they call "side matches".

Shooter's can try their hand at a course that is set up to see how fast they can fire their single action six shooters, rifle and shotgun and their times are recorded. At the end of the day, someone gets the "bragging rights" on who was the fastest gun.

My Weight Watcher's meeting when we are staying at the Herbert Ranch on the south side of San Antonio is on Saturday's. So I went to the WW meeting in Fredericksburg. That meeting is on Thursdays. So it had only been 5 days since my last weigh in.

I knew I had a lost but I did not expect another 2.2 lbs! I now weigh 176.6! So far I have lost 27.2 lbs. in 12 weeks! Yippie Yi Yay!

I left my WW meeting and headed a short distance to town and parked the truck, strapped on my fanny pack and did a nice walk while browsing the quaint shops along Main St. that Fredericksburg is known for.

Fredericksburg, Texas was founded by German emigrants in 1846 and is known as the home of Texas German, a dialect spoken by the first generations of German settlers who initially refused to learn English. Old German customs are still observed.


Fredericksburg is the birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz and there is a Maritime museum called the National Museum of the Pacific War in town in his honor. His father Charles built a hotel there in 1852 and the family lived there. It hosted such guests as President Rutherford B. Hayes, Outlaw Johnny Ringo, Generals Robert E. Lee, James Longstreet, Phil Sheridan and Ulysses S. Grant. Now it is the museum.

                                              One of the many Art Galleries along Main St.


Fredericksburg is known for its Wineries and there are several wine tasting rooms along Main St.

I enjoyed strolling along Main St. and admiring the beautiful German styled homes. Many are on the National Register Historic District.


The beautiful Fredericksburg Pioneer Memorial Library. It was built in 1882 to serve as the Gillespie County Courthouse.

 One of the many German styled homes that have been turned into either boutiques, restaurants, galleries, bakeries, wine tasting shops and gift shops.




Now I am not a "clothes shopper", but there is a shop in town that I have always loved. It is called Hudson and Taylor. It has my taste in shirts. I like western, cowboy and Native Americans shirts and anything with animals on it and that is what they have. The owner is very nice and helpful and congratulated me on my weight lost.

My gosh, I think that about every store I went into, I told them about my weight lost!

For my new size I got a couple of shirts. They will still fit me even when I lose another 20 lbs. I even got a new pair of dressy sandals with beautiful polished stones on the straps. As soon as I get to my goal weight, I will buy nice pants to go with the tops and sandals I bought.

Several shops have unique household furnishing items like this Water Buffalo.


Of course I stopped at several candy, fudge stores and bakeries. I loved looking and I loved walking out as I congratulated myself that sweets don't have a hold on me. When I reach my goal, I will be able to enjoy a treat, but until then I will smile and walk out.

One of my favorite stores is called "Rustlin Rob's Texas Gourmet Food Store". They sell dips, soups, chili, breads, dry mixes, pickles, relishes, meat glazes, rubs and sauces, fudge, salsas, jams, jellies, desserts and dessert toppings, honey and nut butters, hot sauces, cake mixes and etc. Best of all they have samples! Of course I tried several, after all I walked a lot of miles around town.


This is one of my favorite rooms. It is the "Hot Sauce" room. I love reading the names of the hot sauces, they are funny. There is Blazin Saddle, Brain Damage, Colon Cleaner, Sudden Death and even Butt Blaster. Notice the danger signage on the picture below. You have to be over 18 to try the samples of extreme hot sauces. I love hot and spicy.


Another wall of hot sauces.



                  Lots of dips, jams and jellies to try and yes I tried a few and bought several goodies.
and more sampling! Yum!
                                                           
I stopped in my favorite kitchen store called Der Kuchen Laden. They are known to have the best of the best and a huge inventory of high quality items. They have things that you don't see other places and of course I never leave there empty handed.

Fredericksburg and the surrounding "Hill Country" is known for their wildflowers.


    As I strolled down both sides of Main St. for several blocks I took in the beautiful flowers.




When we first started coming to Fredericksburg, these cactus were only about a foot high. You were able to see the beautiful painted mural of a blacksmith hammering on his anvil. It is now all covered up with these cactus. I couldn't believe how fast they grew. You can just make out the blacksmith.


There is nice seating through out the town to take a break after a day of shopping. Usually the seats are taken up by men while their wives shop.



Part #4 will follow soon. Until then..............Happy Trails to you!.............Giddy Up!














2 comments:

  1. I too love Rustlin' Robs--congrats on the weight loss--you are making fast headway Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..Amazing blog.. This blog is very helpful for me. Thanks for sharing this information with us. If you require about Weight Loss Fredericksburg.

    ReplyDelete