Monday, April 6, 2015

TURTLES, FLOWERS, DOGS, DINOSAURS, CHICKS, PONIES, LONGHORNS AND WEIGHT LOSS!

I forgot to mention in my previous post that earlier this week on Monday, March 30th I wanted to take advantage of the weather and do this 40 mile loop. The weather was cool and overcast. Now I am not in shape to do this really, but taking my time with several breaks along the way and  with the weather being on my side, I thought it was doable. I had done a 30 miler last week and felt good afterwards. This ride would have been too much for me if it was sunny and in the 80's.

Along the way, I helped this guy off the road and put him deep into the woods. You can't tell from the picture, but he is was about 7 to 8 inches wide.


I sure enjoyed myself and took several breaks along the way. The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful! Just fields and fields of Texas Wild Flowers!


Closeup of several different wild flowers.


Indian Paintbrush and the Texas State Flower, The Blue Bonnet.


After my 40 mile ride, I can say I was a tired but not exhausted, I survived and was proud of myself!

On Wednesday, April 1 we went to visit Mom. We had lunch at the Longhorn Cafe. This was a place we have never been. It was very good and the very popular with the locals. Only thing is I could have done with out the rock music and the volume. I don't understand why it has to be so loud? And I HATE, HATE, HATE, ROCK,  HIP HOP and RAP, it's all Devil's Music.

We stopped at the Dollar Store and mom found herself a pet. This retired Greyhound was a young ladies service dog. He was a sweetheart and just loved the affection.


On Friday, April 3, I did a 30 mile ride. The weather was perfect because it was overcast with a very heavy mist and that kept me cool.

Here in this part of Texas that we are in, well it is fairly rural but there is areas where there are a small clusters of neighborhoods with pretty run down homes. Everyone seems to have pit bulls and pit bull crosses. They guard the homes and can be seen staked out in yards with heavy duty chains and I don't mean pet dog chains. These look like big chains that you would put a padlock on.

I love the graffiti mail box with the warning sign, I bet the mailman likes it too.


As I ride, I see numerous dogs that run in packs. Many are skinny, homeless, not fixed and you see lots of females that have just had a litter somewhere or are pregnant. Some packs are very aggressive and since I have started bike riding in mid January, I have used a whole canister of police grade pepper spray.

These dangerous dogs come after you to do damage so I don't mind hitting them with spray. A few weeks ago, a pit bull cross came out of a heavy brush area that was right along the road. I did not even have time to grab my spray that is in very easy reach and always ready to go. This dog actually ran out in front of me and I hit him with my bike tire. I was going at a pretty good clip, but I did manage to start hitting my breaks just before impact. He bounce off my tire and this caused him to do a somersault and roll over in the road. I still can't believe I did not crash. He got up and was stunned and retreated back into the brush.

My 30 mile ride was enjoyable, mostly quiet country roads. Even the nice service roads that parallel Interstate 35 are okay to ride on, they have wide shoulders.

I found a huge convenience store called Choke Canyon Travel Center and  BBQ. They just opened in January and there are a couple of locations in Texas. 

Their mascot is a dinosaur.


This place is not your typical convenience store-travel center. It is very nice inside and has a nice coffee bar, a full service deli with BBQ ribs, pulled pork, brisket and a bakery with homemade fudge, homemade pastries, cookies and cheese cakes. 

What nut gets so excited when they see food and start taking pictures? Me of course! I was hyperventilating over these cheesecakes.




Wow, you should see the bathrooms! Choke Canyon prides themselves on spotless bathrooms. They have beautiful tiled floors with fancy fixtures. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have a nice little gift shop full of western house hold and Texas themed items, some clothing, purses, jams, jellies, sauces and dips.


After I quit drooling, I got a delicious cup of coffee and sat outside at one of nice tables that was surrounded by beautiful landscaping and colorful pansies.

On my way home, I came upon this mom and her chicks. They were having a bug feast. It was fun to watch.

I had to stop and visit with these cute little ponies..


Coming back to the ranch, the bull who is in the foreground is relaxing with his harem.


Oh yummy, the milk bar is open!


After his drink, off he went to play.


 On Saturday, April 4th, Loy and I headed to Weight Watchers. I had a good weigh in. I lost 2.2 lbs! This brings my total to 25 lbs. in 11 weeks. I have broke into the 170's! Yippie! I now weigh 178.8!

I was presented with a WW Charm. It has the number 25 on it. Now I am closing in on Ralph's weight, he is about 172.

Coming into the ranch, the Longhorns looked so peaceful.



We will have a nice adventure to tell you all about later this week! We are "hitching up" Tuesday for Ralph's shooting 4 day competition. The match is called "Comancheria Days". It is on the Stieler Ranch, a working cattle ranch that has been in the same family for several generations. It is near the town of Comfort, about 1-1/2 hours away.

There will be entertainment for the crowd, the famous trick roper Kevin Fitzpatrick and his horse, Pistol Packing Paula who does bull whip cracking and gun twirling tricks and Walt Perryman who is a cowboy poet. There will also be a cook on site that fixes all his food in dutch ovens and cooks from an authentic chuck wagon from the 1800's that has been fully restored. I will be doing lots of bike riding, because every day he will be having his specialty, Peach cobbler!

So until next time.............Happy Trails...................

2 comments:

  1. Pit bulls, cheesecakes, 40 mile bike rides--you talk about me being busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, forgot, congratulations on the weight loss!! You are doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete