Monday, July 6, 2015

BRANSON, MISSOURI - PART #8, A KNOCK AT THE DOOR AT 4:00 A.M.!

Well in almost 10 years of "full timing", this was a first for us! It was early Thursday morning, July 2nd and all night long it rained hard with lots of  lightning and thunder.

All through the night, I had periodically peeked out the window and kept checking the level of Turkey Creek. With the moonlight and the constant flash of lightning I was able to see the rivers water level. At 3:00 A.M. my cell phone weather alert tone went off to warn us of possible flooding in our area. I love that feature and so glad we have it.

At 4:00 A.M. I heard a knock at our door and jumped up to answer it. Poor Mark who is the manager of the park, was in his rain gear with the hard rain pummeling down on him and flash light in hand. He told us about the rising water of Turkey Creek and the possibility of us having to hitch up. He and the police department who had been in contact with him were monitoring the river and told us to be prepared just in case.

I told him I had been up and checking out the window too and that I would go ahead and start getting things packed up and ready just in case we had to evacuate.

So I got dressed and went outside just to look around. The gravel road in front of our truck had several deep ruts from the heavy rain run off.

Ralph got dressed too and together we started getting organized and put the slides in. We decided not to wait till the last minute and just go ahead and move. Water can rise very fast, fast enough that you may not have time to hitch up and pull out.

The rain started to slow down a bit while Ralph was tearing down the sewer line, water hose and electric cord, Mark and I were filling in the ruts so we could pull out without too much difficulty.

So by 5:30 A.M. we were hitched up and pulling out to another campsite that was well out of the danger zone.

We were just on this side of the road you see here. The geese were enjoying the rising water.



When we got all set up in our new yard, I noticed our neighbor who's awning had collapse during the storm. The entire awning was hanging down along the side of his RV.

By 9:00 A.M. he opened his front door and came out from behind his hanging down awning. Ralph and I went over and told him that we would help him take it down. He said the noise it made when it collapse and came crashing down on the side of his RV, he thought it was a tornado.

So we met Jeff and he was very appreciative and took us up on our offer. An hour later the awning was down and he drove to a nearby RV repair shop and got the necessary parts to fix it.

His friend John came by to help and Ralph had the necessary power tools and in a couple of hours it was as good as new. Luckily the awning itself did not get ripped up, just a few hardware pieces had to be replaced.

Remember a few blog entries ago I was talking about this big tote bag with the Indian Paint Pony on it and how I kept going back to the western store several times to look at it. Since we have really spent a lot of money here in Branson on all the shows and etc., I was a little hesitant spending money on this tote. I thought $42 was a very fair price and it was built very well, made in America which is important to me and had several zipper compartments in side along with heavy duty leather handles.

Each time I walked to town, I would pop into the western store and just look at it. Well on my last visit, it was gone! Someone bought it. Well I found myself a little disappointed and saying, dang it, I really wanted it after all and should have bought it. The owner saw me and said, I can order it and have it for you in a few days. Hot dog I said, and well here it is! It just caught my eye.


Until next time................Happy Trails to all!







No comments:

Post a Comment