Wednesday, July 8, 2015

BRANSON, MO.- PART #9, THE COLLEGE OF THE OZARKS TOUR! (My favorite day)

On Friday, July 3rd, we headed out to the College of the Ozarks just about 3 miles away. We got there 7:15 a.m. just after the doors opened to their Farmers Market.

Every Friday the students sell their homegrown fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, stoned  ground flours, cornmeal, sausages, meats, jams, jellies, fruitcakes, fresh baked breads, sweet breads, biscuit, pancake and waffle mixes. There is also the crafts they have made such as stained glass items, homemade candles, weaved  baskets and textiles made on old-fashioned looms. Students also sell trees, shrubs, flowers and hanging baskets.

These fellas keep a head count of folks visiting the Farmers Market. In the first 2 hours they were up to 200 I believe.

I grabbed a basket and started loading up with all kinds of goodies including flour, cornmeal, milk fruitcake, fruits, veggies, chocolate banana bread and yummy spicy jalapeno cheese summer sausage that Ralph and I love.

It is going to be ice cold fresh cows milk and home made chocolate banana bread tonight!

We stayed for the cooking demonstration. I got to meet culinary arts student Maleek again. He is in training to become a Certified Sous Chef. At last weeks Farmers Market he made a delicious fancy potato au gratin dish. Today he was making Polenta with fresh homemade jelly.

He and his helper from last week, Annisa did a fabulous job and of course we got to do some taste testing and it was yummy. I got the recipe and will make it. Ralph remembers Polenta as a child.

We took our goodies home and then came back to do the self guided tour of the campus. The campus is home to 1,500 students and sits on a 1,000 acres. The college provides a Christian education for those found worthy, but who are without sufficient means to procure such training. Students work, rather than pay of a quality liberal arts based education.

As I said my earlier post from last week, I have spoke to a couple dozen students and they are so friendly, polite and well spoken. They are good Christian kids and when I asked them about C of O (College of the Ozarks) their eyes would light up, they love their college and they know how lucky they are to have been accepted here. I was very impressed with these young people. The college's nickname is known as "Hard Work U". (Hard Work University).

Our next stop was the Gaetz Tractor Museum. They have 25 antique tractors and farm implements. Each tractor had information displayed that told all about the tractor.




Here are steel horse collars.

Our next stop was the diary. The students milk 60 cows. A mix of Holsteins, Jersey and Guernsey are milked twice a day. At 5:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Once the milk is collected, students pasteurize, bottle and deliver it to The Keeter Center where it is given to another group of hard working students who make it into ice cream. Here Ralph chats with one of the teachers.


Our next stop was Edwards Mill, built with funds provided by the late Mr. and Mrs. Hubert C. Edwards. It is powered by a 12 foot water that is turned by runoff water from nearby Lake Honor. Student workers grind whole grain meal and flour.



Ooops! Tilt your head again.

12 foot water wheel.


I loved this door. Look at the massive hardware and although you can't tell from the picture, it has the old fashion wavy glass.

Grist Mill

This picture was taken another day that I walked here by myself. I met Tucker who was working at  Edwards Mill. Here he is in front of a handmade checker board and checkers that are made out of tree limbs. He asked me if I had time to play a game with him. 

Well I sure did have time and the best part is I got to meet this nice young man. We chatted while we played and he was so polite. He is studying to be an Accountant. He told me how much he loved the College of the Ozarks. He also asked me questions on what I did for work and all about our RV lifestyle.

Well, as far as the fun checker game went,  I did beat Tucker.  He said he didn't know he was playing a "professional".  What I should have told him was that I had about 40 plus years of checker playing experience over him. He was a good sport and a joy to talk to.

 I headed up stairs to the weaving studio where students design and produce rugs, shawls, place mats and other items on traditional looms. They also weave baskets.



Our next stop was the Ralph Foster Museum. Named for Ralph D. Foster who was a radio pioneer and philanthropist. The museum houses thousands of objects representing archaeology, history, firearms, antiques, fine arts, Ozark history, Native American History and natural history. We were at the museum for a while because there was so much to see.

Remember this jalopy? The Beverly Hillbillies 1921 Oldsmobile Model 46 Roadster. The good ol' days when there were family programs on TV.

Jethro, Miss Jane, Mr. Drysdale, Elly May, Granny and Uncle Jed.

Gatling Gun

Doctors Office

Blacksmith

One of Dolly Parton's outfits.

These six shooters belonged to a famous person from the western era and I can't remember whose!

Next stop was one of my favorite stops. The Fruitcake and Jelly Kitchen where they had samples. It was so yummy!


Our next stop was The Williams Memorial Chapel. This is neo-Gothic architecture and it was dedicated in 1956. The chapel is 150' long, 80' wide with an 80 foot ceiling with stained glass windows and attached to the Chapel is the Hyer Bell Tower. Church service's are open to the public.

Next stop was the Greenhouses.

Orchids


Getting ready for milking time.



Well we had reservations at 2 p.m. at the Dobyns Dining Room at the Keeter Center. For some reason I can't find the picture I took of the outside of the Keeter Center. But just think of it as a humongous and breathtaking 2 story log structure. The design was taken from Dobyns Hall, a rustic Maine lodge that was displayed in the 1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair. It is very majestic looking.

The Dobyns Restaurant is known for its excellent food and service. Dobyns serves only the finest, freshest ingredients available, many of which are grown locally and many grown in the campus gardens by the students.


Take a look at the chairs, they are made out of tree limbs. Check out the huge log support beams.

Look at this gorgeous decorative cooper ceiling.

I had been waiting for this day all week since I made these reservations. The restaurant seats 275 people. They have a Sunday Brunch that I heard was absolutely over the top. I thought of going, but it was all you can eat and I can't do that right now.

On certain evenings during dinner, they have student musicians play music.

We were shown to our table and served our drinks right away. Soon homemade rolls arrived along with a mini cast iron fry pan full of butter and apple butter. There were some cranberry biscuits too, I already ate mine before I took this picture.


We started with smoked catfish cakes flaked with onion, bell peppers and garlic, sauteed to a golden brown and served with Carolina slaw and smoked tomato tartar sauce. Oh my gosh, was it the best!

Ralph ordered the Alumni cheese burger with the works and sweet potato fries and slaw.

I had a tough time making my mind up. I wanted one of everything! The funny thing is, I had studied this menu all week. I decided on Chicken and Dumplings. It was so delish!

These after dinner mints are also homemade. I ate mine already, this is Ralph's. By the way I ate his too! 

They had several homemade desserts to choose from. These desserts were displayed at the entrance to the dining room to tease us.


These 2 creations are chocolate art. They were created by a student artist.




 When we were at the Farmers Market this morning, Maleek told me to be sure to take the kitchen tour after our meal. So that is what I did. Ralph decided to relax in the parlor of the Keeter Center.

A few minutes later I was introduced to Chef James Braddock, an Executive Chef. He was delighted to show me his proud kitchen with all his hard working students.

I told him that this was the highlight of my visit to Branson. I told him a little bit about who I was and about our RV life. I let him know that I have enjoyed eating my way across the U.S. by way of the Food Network.

The tour was probably a good 20 minutes or more. I wish I had a brain like a sponge to remember all he was telling me, but I don't. I will say this though, I was in awe and was just amazed at the whole tour.

The kitchen was spotless and very organized. Chef Braddock was very informative and told me about the workings at each station and what the students job was.

He would call one of the students out of the line and they would tell me their name, where they were from, what their major was and how long they have been at C of O. I met students that were in nursing, criminal justice and education.

What was really nice to see is they were all happy to be here at College of the Ozarks.

Here at this station they were plating homemade cookies to the overnight guest that are staying upstairs in the Keeter House Lodge. They get fresh milk and cookies each night. The students write in chocolate icing, a message on the plate with the cookies. Here you see "Welcome Back", "Sweet Dreams" and "Happy 34th Anniversary". How cute and special is that?



Here is Maleek. When he gets famous, I can say I knew him when!


We took an elevator downstairs to where the homemade ice cream and custard is made. Oh how I would love this job. I would do it for free!

It is hard to see from the picture, but the top of the ice cream containers are decorated with crunchy toppings and decorative swirls of ice cream. They make 12 homemade flavors.

Making custard.

I also got to meet Certified Executive Chef Robert Stricklin. He is the Assistant Professor of Culinary Arts.

I have visited this college 3 times since we have been here in Branson. Words can't say enough of what I have experienced. 

Taken from their pamphlet - C of O is a religious, non profit, educational institution. The Vision of the College of the Ozarks is to develop citizens of Christ-like character who are well educated, hard working and patriotic.

The college is smoke and alcohol free. In the 3 days I visited here, I did not see one gum wrapper or cigarette butt on the grounds anywhere.

I thanked Chef Braddock, this was a highlight for me and this made my day!

I stopped to drool at their bakery.

Here is Nettie Marie's homemade ice cream. They also make homemade waffle cones that are kept in a humidity controlled case.

Here is the hotel desk.

Here is the one section of the lobby.

The entrance to Dobyns. On the left is their coffee bar. I got an Almond Joy Latte last week that was to die for.



Gift shop. You can buy the stone ground flour, biscuit mix, cornmeal, sausage, jams, jellies, honey, maple syrup, fruit cake, pottery, weaving items and crafts that the students made.

Well this is why I did not get dessert after dinner. I had this planned out. I wanted to have a cozy moment at the garden waterfall where Ralph and I could sit under beautiful shade trees and listen to the peaceful sound of the water trickling down by our feet and to just enjoy this moment together.

I wanted to try a flavor that I love. It is hazelnut and I got it in a homemade waffle cone. Ralph got peach sherbet in a cup.

Well here is Guillermo. He was the nicest young man, so jovial and happy. He really enjoyed chatting with us.

Making the delicious waffle cones.

Viola! Just when I didn't think our life could get any better! Sitting by a water fall, under shade trees, eating homemade hazelnut ice cream with my sweetheart!

On the way out we saw two more students hard at work. Haley and Renee were busy pulling weeds and taking care of these beautiful flowers. We had a nice chit chat. They both bragged on their wonderful school.



Another side ways picture. This is the colleges time capsule. Buried in 2007 and not to be opened until 2057.


We stopped to visit on our way out, The Veterans Grove and Flag Plaza. This is at the entrance to the college.



The Wall Memorial is in honor of the Missourians that died for our country during the Vietnam War.






As I finish writing this late tonight on Wed. July 8th, I am pooped out. I wanted to get it on our blog before we leave in the morning and now we are updated!

Because it is late and because I am lazy and tired, I did not proof read this blog entry. So sorry for any mistakes. We are hitching up and sadly leaving Branson. We are heading to Kentucky and will be leaving tomorrow for our next front yard.

We have had a great time in Branson. I could live here (part of the year) if they did not get that white stuff. I love the Ozark area and the College of the Ozarks.

Until next time..............Happy Trails to all!











2 comments:

  1. Loved, loved this blog--what a great place! My mouth is watering and I've not even had breakfast! Wouldn't it be wonderful if all colleges were like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, forgot--Ralph must have felt right at home in the dairy barn! :))

    ReplyDelete