Saturday, August 1, 2015

KENTUCKY, ILLINOIS AND BACK INTO KENTUCKY!

On Friday, July 24th we left Singing Hills RV Park in Cave City, KY. and headed towards Illinois. While passing through Bowling Green, KY. we stopped at Camping World for a few RV supplies.

Next door was Gander Mountain. They are nationwide and sell outdoor recreation products for hunting, fishing and camping.

I spotted these nice camping chairs. They were well built and really caught my eye. The 2 camping chairs we have are showing their age and Gander Mountain was running a special through August, buy one and get one for 1/2 price!

So we got 2 of them. I always get camping chairs with the little side table on one side along with the other side having a flap with storage compartments where you can keep a book, cell phone or a drink bottle. This table had something extra that I thought we would use. Underneath the table it had a collapsible insulated cooler.

We really checked these chairs out to the point of folding them down to see how compact they were with this collapsible cooler. To our surprise, they narrowly folded just about the same size as our soon to be replaced old camping chairs. They were more sturdy and better built too.

We left Kentucky and crossed over the Ohio River into Indiana. We soon arrived at the Westside Renegade Gun Club in Evansville. I had called a couple of days earlier and found out that it would be okay for us to stay on the grounds for the shoot.


We met Bob the caretaker who lives on the grounds and he showed us where to park. We found a nice spot along a shady tree line and soon set up our rolling ranch house.

The Westside Renegade Gun Club is just beautiful. You can see that the buildings and the grounds are meticulously cared for by Bob the caretaker and the many members of this club.

Ralph and I walked down to check out the cowboy range and found several cowboy shooters just hanging out. They proudly gave us a nice tour of their beautiful cowboy range.

On Saturday, July 25th, we headed down to the range. I soon set up my new Gander Mountain chair with my coffee thermos, coffee mug and drink bottle. My bag is full of stuff, usually cards and letters that I write to family and friends, brochures that I thumb through while planning our sightseeing days and our travel journal. This keeps me busy between Ralph's turn to shoot.

I also made use of the insulated cooler compartment by storing extra water bottles and snacks. Ralph has a small cooler that hangs on his gun cart that he keeps his ice cold neck wraps in. He wears them on shooting days like today, a 90 plus degree day!

Here are the cowboys milling around waiting for the shooters meeting to start.


Here Ralph is shooting his shotgun at the Gallows Stage.

Shooters can get very creative when it comes to building their gun cart. I really fell in love with this one.

Shooting his rifle and six shooters at the Gallows Stage.



I wish I could have taken more shooting pictures, but the other stages where enclosed western facades and I don't want to get in the way of the timer and counters.

After the match they did the awards. Ralph took first place in the Senior Gunfighter class. 

On Sunday, July 27th we hitched up and headed back into Kentucky to the town of Paducah, population about 25,000.

Crossing the Ohio River again.

Close to Paducah, we hit a rain storm and a traffic jam on the Interstate 69.

We arrived and set up our ranch house at the Duck Creek RV Park in Paducah. Another storm came through and while looking out the window, I was lucky enough to capture this lightning strike.


On Monday, July 27th, I got up early to beat the heat. All this week it is to be well into the 90's. I did a 3 mile walk. I am getting back on track with eating properly and still trying to get a little more weight off. I have been on a hiatus for the last couple of weeks and enjoying myself.

When I got back, Ralph and I got on our bikes and rode into the town of Paducah. We stopped at Lowes, the Dollar Store and Walmart to get a few items. I have a big basket on my bike and it was loaded down.

The roads are level around here and have super wide shoulders, safe for bicycling. We have very good front and rear lights along with wearing our florescent orange vests and helmets.

On Wednesday, July 29th, we headed to the town of Mayfield, Ky. about 30 minutes south of Paducah. We visited Mose and Bella, cowboy shooting friends of ours that own Frontier Firearms. 

Their shop was really nice and we had a fun visit. As we headed out, they told us about a BBQ Joint called "Larry, Darrell and Darrell. It was just a few doors down from their store, so off we went.

We ordered some good Kentucky BBQ and after we got done, the owner James came out to make sure everything was delicious. I assured him it was tops! As we were chit chatting with him and telling him what we do, he told us he had been checking on RV's himself. He travels all over doing   BBQ, ribs and brisket cook offs. 

We gave him some advice and pointers about RV's. I also told him about our blog and that I wanted to get a picture of him in front of his restaurant. It was a fun day.






1 comment: