Sunday, August 23, 2015

MORE BIKING, MORE EATING, AND DRINKING MOONSHINE!

On Thursday, August 13th I did a 4 mile walk early in the morning and then did a solo 24 mile bicycle ride. Ralph stayed home and just relaxed.

As most of you know I have lost 49 lbs. with Weight Watchers. Even though I have made my goal, I still want to lose several more. The last month or two I have been splurging quite a bit and fell of the wagon. Even though I have been biking and walking, I have been overeating.

The food is just too good here in Paducah and I love Kirchhoff's Bakery and the Etcetera Coffeehouse. However I will get back on the wagon and get back in the swing of things.

Anyway, I wanted to burn calories today because we met our friends at Logan's Roadhouse in town this evening. Bella and Mose are cowboy shooters and have a firearms store in the nearby town of Mayfield. I am sorry I did not get a picture of them, but we sure did have a good time and I am so happy  I burned off calories today!

On Friday, August 14th, Ralph and I headed to town on our bikes. Of course we stopped at the Etcetera Coffeehouse for coffee and next door at Kirchhoff's Bakery for our treat.

We split a delicious over the top flaky quiche. Oh my gosh was it yummy! As much as I would have loved to had one all to myself, I know I can't. Before I knew it, it was gone and I forgot to take a picture of it!

We rode around a bit and came back into town where we stopped at The Moonshine Co. We met a character called Cousin Billy who is a "master distiller". He and his wife own The Moonshine Co.

He gave us the Distillery tour and told us about the history and lore of Moonshining. The building that houses his museum and distillery is a 107 year old historical brick building and it was just beautiful and so rustic inside.

Cousin Billy explained all the different types artifact stills and how they worked. He told us the history of bootlegging and how moonshine was made. The  stills were all displayed in a natural setting just like that would have been up in the hills! Many historic pictures of hillbillies and their stills hung on the walls. Some include law enforcement officials and the hillbillies in handcuffs during prohibition..

Moonshine recipes came from Cousin Billy's, Uncle Mosey. Gangster and bootlegger, Al Capone often sent for some of Uncle Mosey's shine along with a famous Presidents father who also relied on some shine back in the day although his name was not disclosed.

Since age 12, Cousin Billy has worked to perfect this craft of 54 years of distilling moonshine. His family was among the first pioneers to settle in Kentucky. He uses only the finest locally grown ingredients and has won several prestigious awards for his moonshine.

We stepped up to the bar and tried a half dozen samples of all his different flavors of "shine". We tried apple, peach, lemon, strawberry, blackberry and a few others. Oh my were they good! We weren't too tipsy and we were able to peddle home.

Even though we had bike baskets, we did not get any because I did not want to risk falling off our bikes, which does happen on occasion  and breaking all that shine. We told Cousin Billy we would be back tomorrow after Ralph's competition.

Do you know why there are no pictures? Because I forgot my iPhone this morning! But not to worry, you will see Cousin Billy.

On Saturday, August 15th, we headed to the range for Ralph's competition. It was close by, just outside of Paducah town limits.

It was a nice small range just behind the Shooter's Supply Store. There was plenty of shade from trees and long roof overhangs for the shooting bays. It was a wonderful low humidity day.


Shooting both his six shooters at the same time.

We don't know how he place because I had was unable to bring up the clubs website to see the scores.

After the cowboy shoot, we headed to The Moonshine Company. We did more sampling too. This is Cousin Billy's wife. Cousin Billy was giving other folks a tour at the time.


Another picture that refused to let me upright it, so just tilt you head. This is actually one of Cousin Billy's real working stills that he uses.

These three stills are the ones that make Cousin Billy's shine.

These pictures below were at one time real working stills.



I had Cousin Billy sign one of the mason jars of shine that we will keep as a souvenir.

Ralph is one happy cowboy. Although it is hard to make out, the shine was placed in burlap sacks. We will keep them as a souvenir and make use out of them.


On Sunday, Aug. 16th, we were off on a ride. We stopped at Ectetera for coffee and a toasted jalapeno bagel with cream cheese. I don't have to tell you, but you all know it was yummy.

We rode out of town and found a road that I named "Proud to be a Patriotic American Rd." It was a large wide road with a grass median in the middle. The road was called Jefferson St. and there was a few block section where the homes can only be described as "stately, historic, vintage and majestic looking with lots of character".


Some of the homes were built in the 1890's and they have been beautifully maintained. Many had wrapped around porches and many had the American Flag or patriotic buntings hanging from their porches.

There were many beautiful homes like these. I wish I could have taken many more pictures of these patriotic homes but we had a lot of miles we needed to ride.

Each block proudly displayed a monument and they were located along the middle of the median. All pertained to Paducah's history.

Here is the monument of Oscar Turner. He was a Commonwealth attorney in Kentucky. He served in the KY. State Senate and later served in Congress.


 This monument was dedicated to the 1937 Flood in Paducah where 385 people lost their lives.


Alben W. Barkley was the 35th Vice President under President Harry S. Truman. He was elected county attorney, chosen county judge and then U.S. Representative before becoming V.P.

 This monument honors Chickasaw Chief Paduke. Paducah, KY. is named in his honor.


On  the way home we stopped at Walmart. I saw this elderly lady and she was on oxygen. She looked at me and asked was I riding a motorcycle or a bicycle? I told her I was riding a bicycle. She said I can tell you are in good shape. I thanked her and let her know she made my day! I told her about my Weight Watchers journey.

You know what is funny, whether we are at a store, coffee shop, restaurant and even a liquor store, folks come up to us to say "I saw you riding this morning on the other side of town. We are easily recognized because of our orange vest, fanny packs and helmets.

It was another fun day in our life! Until next time...............Happy Trails to all!









1 comment:

  1. Did you ever think when you were standing in some courtroom with the dregs of the earth that you would be living the life you guys now lead? It's wonderful! Those calories have sneaked back up one me too--I'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete