Sunday, August 30, 2015

MUST I SAY THIS AGAIN? EATING, BICYCLING AND EATING!

On Tues. August 18th we jumped on our bikes and headed to "you guessed it" Kirchhoff's and the Etcetera Coffeehouse.

Every time we go to Kirchhoff's, I try to get something different every time. I was thinking if I could stay in Paducah for a few more months, I would be able to try everything!

Here is Kara and Kathy, just some of the ladies that work at Kirchhoff's. All their employees have been so friendly and I always enjoy chatting with them. They all know of about our full time RV lifestyle and wanted our travel blog site so they could follow us in our travels. I thought that was nice.


Today we tried a flaky stuffed spinach and cheese pinwheel. They always heat up the breakfast goodies and I must say like all the other things we have tried, it was delish! I was so excited to eat it that I forgot to take a picture of it!

I just love this beautiful home right in the town of Paducah. There wasn't a blade of grass out of place.

 We love riding through Noble Park. I have wrote about this wonderful park in previous posts. 

We got a treat today when we were riding the Greenway multi-use trail. We saw a flock of wild turkeys!

Well I did it again. We stopped at Panera Bread for a break and we split a deliciously flaky spinach cheese souffle and I forgot to take a picture of it! 

Heading back into town, we stopped at Troutt's Old Time General Store and Market. It was like an old fashion shopping experience. They had a wide range of items from antiques and vintage to old time favorite foods. I got a scooter pie. The last time I had a scooter pie, I was a teenager!

They sold specialty candles, Blessing Baskets, Amish cheeses, old fashion candies, specialty coffees over 35 varieties of handcrafted old time sodas, heirloom seeds, Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks and stuff I can no longer remember.

A real antique phone.

Fishing reels and knives.

I loved how they displayed all their wares around the antique oven and old time cabinets. Here in this cabinet is the popular line of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products.

Lotions and soaps.

Jams, marmalade's, sauces, dips, relishes, pickles and coffees.


Ralph eyeing up all the specialty meats and cheeses.

They also have handmade sandwiches, salads and baked goods where you can have a seat at this old fashion table and enjoy your lunch.

Wow, was it an adventure just looking at every thing. It was like going back in time.

On Thursday, August 20th, Ralph and I headed out on our bikes. First stop was my monthly weigh in at Weight Watchers. OH NO!

Since making my goal, I am a Life Time Member as long as I don't go over the maximum weight WW has set for me.

I am 8 lbs. under the weight that WW had set for me. As most of you know I want to lose an additional 7 lbs. Well I step on the scale and actually lost 1 lb. I was a little surprised because even though I have been biking and walking I am eating lots of calories.

Well when I got home, I looked at my WW weight tracking card and the lady made a mistake. I had gained 1 lb. But that is okay. I will get back on track after we leave Paducah.

I just had to take advantage of eating at an historical bakery that makes the most special and unusual desserts, breakfast treats and artisan breads that I just don't see any where else plus the ambiance is cozy. It was just love to sit at their table on the brick sidewalk overlooking a cobblestone street with historical and beautiful architecturally designed buildings all around us.

We rode around town and the picture here may be a little hard to see, but it is the high water flood marks that shows the 3 times that Paducah was under water. The years were 1884 at 54.2 ft., 1913 at 54.3 ft. and 1937 at 60.8 ft.

Isn't this a neat motorcycle trike kit. I wish the photo was better, but it really looked like the bat mobile, only in a motorcycle style.

On Friday, August 21st, I packed a nice picnic lunch and off we went on our bikes. Of course we stopped at Kirchhoff's and Etcetera Coffeehouse. This veggie and meat quiche and it was to die for.

It was an errand day and we stopped at two sporting good stores, Dick's and Gander Mountain. Ralph was shopping for a different fanny pack and we found one that fit the bill. The one he has was a bit big and bulky and it bothers his hips.

Next stop was the Post Office, Hobby Lobby and then Panera Bread for a coffee break and rest. It is relaxing to sit at their outdoor seating area underneath table umbrellas and listen to their soft music that they play.

Several buildings around town have painted quilting patterns. They are part of the  towns Quilting Trail. They can be seen on barns too.


We arrived back in town and headed for the towns nice picnic area along the Ohio River. It is just on the other side of the flood mural walls. Huge shade trees are along the flood walls and each one has a nice picnic table.

What a view! We watch several tug boats push barges. It was just so peaceful to sit along the Ohio River.

On Thursday evenings during the summer, the city of Paducah puts on free concerts. The John's Pass Carriage Service gives rides around historic Paducah for a very reasonable fee.

I wish we could have taken in a few of the nice concerts, but we are just too pooped when we ride all day and most likely we are lazy to go back out after dinner.

I got to talking to the owners, John and Char and got to meet their trusty steed Jake. I told Char that I would take a carriage ride tomorrow.


We did our last two stops on the way home, Ace hardware and Walmart and finally arrived home. It was a fun day and peddled 27 miles!  Until next time..............Happy Trials!









1 comment:

  1. That bat-mobile is actually a Polaris Slingshot--starting price, $25,000!! You are so lucky to be in the eastern US--the smoke out here is awful!

    ReplyDelete