Wednesday, December 24, 2014

I BAKED, ATE, BAKED and ATE ALL WEEK LONG!

Since I was unable to do my blog last week because of me making "My Pictures Tab" fly off into "no mans land", I had a good bit of time in my day.

I decided to try my hand at baking bread. I had never baked any type of bread or rolls except for Pillsbury Grands in a can.

I love hot and spicy. I love foods that make the sweat drip of your brow. So while looking at bread recipes, a jalapeno cheddar cheese bread caught my eye. I had all the ingredients. This recipe called for bread flour. I happened to have Bread flour because the last time I was at the grocery store I picked it up by mistake thinking I was reaching for All Purpose flour.

Besides the normal ingredients, it called for sour cream, cheddar cheese and 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped. I left the seeds and membrane in because that is where the heat is!

I had a fun time making it, the kneading, the rising, the rolling and tucking and more rising. The wonderful aroma filled the RV as it baked in the convection oven.

Ralph and I enjoyed watching it rise and get golden brown. The timer went off and I thumbed it for a solid sound as the recipe said to do.

I was so proud of myself. We both looked in amazement at it sat on the counter on cooling racks. It was tough to wait for it to cool down enough to slice it. I could only imagine how it was going to taste with garlic herb butter on it.

When we are home in the afternoon, Ralph and I usually fix a pot of coffee and sit outside enjoying a cup and the beautiful day.

The bread was now ready to slice! Looking at us, you would think that we were kids getting ready to eat a banana split.  We had spread some garlic herb butter on it and it melted perfectly through all the nooks and crannies.

Oh my gosh, was it delish! Ralph said if it had anymore heat in it he could not have eaten it, but he did enjoy it.

By evening this is all that was left and by the next day it was all gone.

A few days later, I saw a recipe for hot dog buns. I watched a video and soon whipped out hot dog buns. I brushed them with butter, sprinkled them with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds and garlic salt.

The recipe made 8 buns. Knowing how we devoured the Jalapeno Bread, I was smart this time, I took a few up to Hoppy and Loy's home to pass the calories around. The rolls did not taste like the bland super market rolls. They were flavorful and delicious. I will make them again.

On raining mornings where we don't have to go anywhere or do anything, Ralph and I relax and watch westerns on TV all day long. We light the fireplace and candles and enjoy the cozy rainy day.

On cozy days like this, sometimes we make breakfast for  dinner, we make either gourmet Belgian waffles or gourmet pancakes from scratch. We have fresh fruit, walnuts, real maple syrup and whipped cream for toppings. This day I added sauteed maple bananas. Oh my gosh was it delish!

Now that my blog is up and running, I hope there will be less baking and eating. But then again maybe not.

Until next time, Happy Trails................









1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness Angie--your bread sounds delicious!!! Merry Christmas to you and Ralph from Michael, Janna and little Emmi!

    ReplyDelete