Friday, May 8, 2015

BURNING THE CALORIES, MY NEW DO AND RALPH'S EYE SURGERY!

This past week I did well with my eating and working out. I had a couple of days where I walked several miles. In the evening during  TV commercials I would jump up and I took turns either doing lunges, planks, jogged in place or step aerobics. I know it will be a good weigh in this week!

On Tuesday, May 5th, I headed to Bandera for my hair cut. While I was at the Cowboy Bar last week, there was this nice lady who was running the little gift shop there. I loved her hair cut and she gave me the name of her hair salon and stylists.

Well I was very happy with my cut. It will go good with my weight loss!

As I promised in my last blog, here are better pictures of some of the western signs and the Bandera Courthouse.

Here is a little history of  Bandera.

Signs with different western designs line both sides of Main St. in Bandera.

 The beautiful Bandera Courthouse was built in 1890. The style is called Renaissance Revival. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 31, 1979.


On Thursday, May 7th, we headed to the Eye Surgery Center in San Antonio. Ralph was having a Toric Lense put in.

Dr.Gregory Parkhurst and his staff were great. He is recognized  nationally as an expert and leader in Lasik vision correction. He has helped pioneer new trends in refractive surgery worldwide.

Ralph had his left eye done in February and decided to have the other one done rather than waiting until we came back next winter to the area.

As you can see, he has his fashionable bonnet on and some art work pointing  to the eye that is to be done.

Here he is all hooked up to a heart and BP monitor. The nurse is putting in the IV for the "happy juice" that will put him in "La La Land", but still allow him to follow their instructions during the proceedure.


When they wheeled him back, I went to the waiting room to relax and grab a cup  of coffee. I was just about done my cup when Curtis said "Come on back, he is all done". Darn, I didn't even get to read but the first page of a healthy eating magazine that I was looking at!

We soon were in the truck heading home and the best part was it was just before rush hour!

The next day, on Friday, May 8th we headed to Dr. Parkhurst office for the next day follow up.

Ralph's Optometrist of 4 years, Dr. Medina came to see Ralph. He overseas and manages LASIK and refractive surgery clinical care provided at the Parkhurst-Nuvision Center.

There happened to be a film crew there doing a segment on eye surgery. When they found out they had a shooting competitor there, they jumped at the chance to interview "Lefty Rhodes".

They asked Ralph if he would be interested in sharing his story and soon hooked Ralph up with all the wires.

It turned out to be a very nice interview between Dr. Medina and Lefty Rhodes. I was very impressed that Ralph did so well while in the "hot seat".

Ralph just happened to have his belt buckles with him that he has won over the years because Dr. Parkhurst had wanted to see them. Ralph's latest "prized" buckle came from the "Comancheria Days" Annual Match that was held on the historical Adolf Stieler Ranch last month. He proudly showed it off.

Ralph also has been making leather knife sheaths for several of Dr. Medina's handmade flint knives over the last couple of months. Today he brought Dr. Medina the last one and this one had Dr. Medina's initials carved into the sheath.

Ralph usually wears a western shirt and wears his cowboy hat when he goes to his Dr. appointments. This day however he did not. It would have added a nice touch interviewing a cowboy talking about his "Cowboy Action Shooting" competition.

I am on the outside of the glass looking in the interview room.

                                                                    The Monitor

 As the film is rolling, Dr. Medina is holding Ralph's latest trophy buckle. Ralph explained how his eye sight was before the surgery and how it is now.

"Thanks to Dr. Medina and Dr. Parkhurst, I can see the targets now and I won this great belt buckle!"

 Dr. Medina shows off his monogrammed flint knife sheath with his initials. The knife handle is made out of antler.

 Dr. Gregory Parkhurst, Ralph and Dr. Arthur Medina

When Ralph had his first eye surgery this past February, I asked Dr. Parkhurst if the lense he was putting in could make me look 30 lbs. lighter. He said lenses have not come that far yet.  So I knew Weight Watcher's was the only way for me.

One of the Assistants that saw me today, came up and said, "Oh my gosh, how much weight have you lost?" That made me feel good!

As of the last weigh in, I have lost 32.8 lbs. so far! Tomorrow is WW weigh in!

Until next time..................Happy Trails!........................











2 comments:

  1. Hey, no photo of the new "do"??? I can get text messages at home now with the iPhone and booster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. Laser Eye Surgery Michigan

    ReplyDelete